Indulge in the velvety elegance of our classic Flan recipe, a beloved dessert renowned for its creamy caramel goodness. Originating in Spain, Flan has captured the hearts and palates of food enthusiasts worldwide. This sweet, custardy treat, topped with luscious caramel, is the perfect ending to any meal. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply want to treat your family, our Flan recipe will delight and impress. Let’s create this exquisite dessert for four.
For 4 servings, you will need:
For the Caramel:
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
For the Flan:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) of evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
Step 1: Prepare the Caramel
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Heat over medium-high heat, swirling occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and turns into a golden-brown caramel. Be cautious as caramel can get very hot.
Step 2: Coat the Ramekins
- Working quickly, pour a portion of the caramel into the bottom of each of the four ramekins, swirling to coat the bottoms evenly. Set aside and let the caramel cool and harden.
Step 3: Preheat the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C) and place a deep baking pan inside large enough to hold all four ramekins.
Step 4: Make the Flan Mixture
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 4 large eggs until they’re well beaten.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and pure vanilla extract. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
Step 5: Fill the Ramekins
- Pour the Flan mixture into the caramel-coated ramekins. Be gentle to avoid disturbing the caramel layer.
Step 6: Prepare a Water Bath
- Place the filled ramekins into the deep baking pan. Add hot water to the baking pan until it reaches about halfway up the sides of the ramekins. This creates a water bath.
Step 7: Bake
- Carefully place the baking pan with the ramekins and water bath into the preheated oven. Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until the Flan is set. You can test this by inserting a knife into the center; it should come out clean.
Step 8: Chill and Unmold
- Remove the ramekins from the water bath and let them cool to room temperature. Then, refrigerate them for at least 4 hours or overnight. This allows the caramel to soften and meld with the Flan.
- When ready to serve, run a knife around the edge of each ramekin to loosen the Flan. Invert a plate over the ramekin, flip it upside down, and gently tap the bottom to release the Flan with its caramel topping.
Read More: Very Easy Banana Bread Recipe
Read More: Easy Pumpkin Bread recipe