Prepare to embark on a culinary journey to Japan with our delectable Chicken Katsu recipe. This iconic dish features crispy, breaded chicken cutlets served with a flavorful dipping sauce. The combination of crispy on the outside and tender on the inside makes it a favorite for all ages. Whether you’re hosting a family dinner or a casual gathering, our Chicken Katsu recipe for four will satisfy your craving for authentic Japanese flavors. Let’s dive into the world of crunchy, savory goodness!
For the Chicken Katsu:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (optional)
- Lemon wedges
- Fresh cabbage, thinly sliced
- Prepare the Chicken:
- Place the chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- Gently pound them to an even thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Breading the Chicken:
- Set up a breading station with three shallow bowls. Fill one with flour, one with beaten eggs, and one with panko breadcrumbs.
- Take a piece of chicken, coat it in flour, dip it in the beaten eggs, and then roll it in the panko breadcrumbs, ensuring it’s well-coated.
- Place the breaded chicken pieces on a baking sheet.
- Heat the Oil:
- In a large skillet or deep fryer, heat vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C).
- Fry the Chicken Katsu:
- Carefully place the breaded chicken pieces in the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until they’re golden brown and cooked through.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove them and place them on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Make the Dipping Sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and grated ginger (if using) to create a savory dipping sauce.
- Serve and Garnish:
- Slice the Chicken Katsu into strips.
- Serve with lemon wedges, thinly sliced fresh cabbage, and the dipping sauce.
Read More: Easy Chicken Nuggets recipe
Read More: Easy Orange Chicken recipe