Welcome to my kitchen, where we’re about to craft a timeless and comforting classic – Matzo Ball Soup. This cherished recipe is designed to serve four people and combines delicate, fluffy matzo balls with a flavorful and soul-warming broth. Whether you’re craving a nourishing bowl of soup or a comforting reminder of home, this Matzo Ball Soup will hit the spot. Let’s start cooking!
For this heartwarming Matzo Ball Soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
For the Matzo Balls:
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish, optional)
For the Soup: 9. 8 cups chicken broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fresh dill leaves, for garnish (optional)
Let’s dive into the process of creating this classic Matzo Ball Soup:
Making the Matzo Balls:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the matzo meal, eggs, chicken broth, vegetable oil, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the matzo ball mixture for at least 30 minutes to allow it to firm up.
- After chilling, wet your hands and form the mixture into small, walnut-sized balls. Wetting your hands will prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands and help you shape the balls more easily.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a simmer. Drop the matzo balls into the simmering water and cover the pot. Allow them to cook for about 30-40 minutes, or until they’re light, fluffy, and cooked through. They will float to the top when they’re ready.
Making the Soup:
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat a little oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, sliced carrots, and sliced celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute until it becomes fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth, bay leaf, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Let the soup simmer, covered, for about 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Place a couple of matzo balls in each serving bowl.
- Ladle the hot Matzo Ball Soup over the matzo balls, allowing them to soak up the delicious broth.
- If desired, garnish with fresh parsley or dill leaves for a burst of freshness.
- Serve your Matzo Ball Soup hot and savor the flavors of a beloved classic!Read More: Easy Cabbage Soup Recipe
Read More: Best Lasagna Soup Recipe