Welcome to my kitchen, where we’re about to prepare a warm and comforting classic – Cabbage Soup. This recipe serves four people and brings together the hearty goodness of cabbage, vegetables, and savory broth to create a soothing and nutritious meal. Whether you’re looking for a healthy option or simply crave a bowl of pure comfort, this Cabbage Soup is the answer. Let’s start cooking!
For this nourishing Cabbage Soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
For the Soup:
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For Garnish (optional): 12. Fresh parsley, chopped
- A squeeze of lemon juice
Let’s dive into the process of creating this nourishing and flavorful Cabbage Soup:
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat a little oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, sliced carrots, and sliced celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute until it becomes fragrant.
- Pour in the vegetable or chicken broth and water, then add the diced tomatoes (with their juice), chopped cabbage, bay leaf, and dried thyme. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer, covered, for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Once the soup is ready, remove the bay leaf and taste to adjust the seasonings if needed.
- If desired, garnish your Cabbage Soup with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice for a refreshing touch.
- Serve your Cabbage Soup hot, either as a wholesome meal or a comforting starter, and enjoy the soothing flavors!