Get ready to experience the perfect balance of flavors with our delightful Hot and Sour Soup! This classic Chinese dish is a symphony of tastes, combining the fiery heat of chili, the tangy zest of vinegar, and the umami richness of various ingredients. Whether you’re looking to warm up on a chilly day or craving a comforting, exotic soup, this recipe for four is sure to satisfy your cravings. With a harmonious blend of vegetables, mushrooms, and proteins, this hot and sour soup is a journey for your taste buds. Let’s dive into the enticing world of flavors.
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 200g (7 oz) tofu, cubed
- 200g (7 oz) mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots, sliced (canned or fresh)
- 1/2 cup wood ear mushrooms, rehydrated if dried, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili paste or Sriracha (adjust to your spice preference)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish (optional)
Step 1: Prepare Broth and Tofu
- In a pot, bring the chicken or vegetable broth to a simmer.
- Add the tofu cubes and allow them to gently simmer for about 10 minutes to soak up the flavors.
Step 2: Create Flavor Base
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and chili paste. Mix well.
Step 3: Thicken the Soup
- In a separate small bowl, mix the cornstarch with a little water to create a slurry.
- Slowly pour the cornstarch slurry into the simmering soup while stirring continuously until it thickens.
Step 4: Add Vegetables and Mushrooms
- Toss in the sliced mushrooms, bamboo shoots, wood ear mushrooms, and green peas.
- Let the soup simmer for another 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Step 5: Incorporate Eggs
- Slowly pour the beaten eggs into the hot soup while stirring gently with a fork. This will create the characteristic ribbons of cooked egg in the soup.
Step 6: Season and Garnish
- Season the soup with salt and white pepper to taste. Adjust the spice level with more chili paste if desired.
- Stir in the sliced green onions.
Step 7: Serve and Garnish
- Ladle the steaming hot and sour soup into bowls.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, if desired.
Your Hot and Sour Soup is ready to serve. Enjoy this exquisite combination of spicy and tangy flavors with a touch of umami richness. It’s a comforting and exotic dish that’s perfect for four people.
Read More: hearty and delicious Chicken Soup recipe
Read More: Delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe