Experience the vibrant and exotic flavors of Thailand with our delectable Pad Thai recipe. This iconic Thai dish is a harmonious blend of stir-fried rice noodles, tender shrimp or chicken, and an array of fresh ingredients, all enveloped in a fragrant, savory, and slightly tangy sauce. Whether you’re an avid fan of Thai cuisine or looking to embark on a culinary adventure, our Pad Thai recipe for four will transport your taste buds to the bustling streets of Bangkok. Let’s gather the ingredients and embark on a journey to create the perfect Pad Thai.
For 4 servings, you will need:
For the Pad Thai:
- 8 ounces of rice noodles (medium width)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound of peeled and deveined shrimp, or boneless chicken breasts/thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup of diced tofu (optional)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of roasted unsalted peanuts, crushed
- Lime wedges, for serving
For the Pad Thai Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce (or soy sauce for a vegetarian version)
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili flakes (adjust to taste)
For Garnish (optional):
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Sriracha sauce
Step 1: Prepare the Noodles
- In a large bowl, soak the rice noodles in warm water for about 15-20 minutes or until they are pliable but still slightly firm (al dente). Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Make the Pad Thai Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the tamarind paste, fish sauce (or soy sauce), brown sugar, and chili flakes. Mix until the sugar is dissolved, and set the sauce aside.
Step 3: Sauté the Protein
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp or chicken and cook until they turn pink (shrimp) or are cooked through (chicken). Remove them from the wok and set aside.
Step 4: Sauté the Aromatics
- In the same wok, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add minced garlic and stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
Step 5: Scramble the Eggs
- Push the garlic to one side of the wok and pour the lightly beaten eggs into the other side. Scramble the eggs until they are mostly cooked.
Step 6: Combine Ingredients
- Add the soaked and drained rice noodles to the wok, along with the Pad Thai sauce. Toss everything together to combine.
Step 7: Add Tofu and Protein
- Add the diced tofu (if using), cooked shrimp or chicken, and half of the bean sprouts. Toss and stir-fry for a few more minutes until everything is heated through.
Step 8: Serve and Garnish
- Divide the Pad Thai among four plates. Garnish with the remaining bean sprouts, green onions, crushed peanuts, and lime wedges. Add fresh cilantro and a drizzle of Sriracha sauce if desired.
Read More: Easy Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
Read More: Delicious Matzo Ball Soup Recipe