Embark on a culinary journey to the heart of the Middle East with our mouthwatering Falafel Sandwich recipe. This delightful creation combines crispy, golden-brown falafel patties with fresh and vibrant toppings, all nestled in warm, fluffy pita bread. It’s a true fusion of flavors and textures that will transport your taste buds to the bustling streets of the Middle East. Our Falafel Sandwich recipe is designed to serve four, making it an ideal choice for a satisfying lunch or dinner that’s both delicious and vegetarian-friendly. Let’s dive into the world of Middle Eastern cuisine and create a sandwich that’s bursting with flavor!
For the Falafel Patties:
- 2 cups dried chickpeas (or 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4-6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (as needed)
- Vegetable oil for frying
For Assembling the Sandwiches:
- 4 large pita bread rounds
- Tzatziki sauce or tahini sauce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced cucumbers
- Thinly sliced red onions
- Fresh lettuce or greens
- Sliced pickles (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional, for a spicy kick)
For the Falafel Patties (same as the previous recipe):
- If you’re using dried chickpeas, soak them in cold water overnight. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas, chopped onion, garlic cloves, fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, and baking powder. Pulse until finely minced but not pureed.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add all-purpose flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture can be formed into patties without falling apart.
- Shape the mixture into small patties, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet or deep fryer. Fry falafel patties until deep golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
For Assembling the Falafel Sandwiches:
- Warm the pita bread rounds in the oven or on a griddle until they are soft and pliable.
- Lay each pita flat and spread a generous spoonful of tzatziki sauce or tahini sauce in the center.
- Place 3-4 falafel patties on top of the sauce in each pita.
- Add sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, thinly sliced red onions, fresh lettuce or greens, and pickles if desired.
- Drizzle with hot sauce for an extra kick if you like it spicy.
- Carefully fold the sides of the pita over the filling, creating a sandwich pocket.
- Serve your delicious Falafel Sandwiches immediately, and enjoy the explosion of flavors and textures!