Get ready to savor the warm and delightful flavors of a classic German Pancake. Also known as a Dutch Baby, this puffy and oven-baked pancake is a breakfast delight that’s sure to charm your taste buds. It’s a wonderful combination of a custardy interior and crispy edges, creating a perfect harmony of textures. Our German Pancake recipe is designed to serve four, making it a wonderful choice for a cozy family breakfast or a special brunch with friends. Let’s embark on this culinary journey together and whip up a delicious morning treat.
For the Pancake Batter:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh berries or sliced fruit (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Place a 9×13-inch baking dish in the oven while it preheats.
- In a blender, combine the large eggs, all-purpose flour, whole milk, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Blend until the batter is smooth and well combined. You can also whisk the ingredients together by hand, but using a blender ensures a smoother consistency.
- Once your oven is preheated, carefully remove the hot baking dish and add the 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter to it. Place the dish back in the oven for a minute or two, just until the butter melts and sizzles.
- Quickly pour the prepared pancake batter into the hot, melted butter in the baking dish. Be cautious, as the butter will be very hot.
- Place the baking dish back in the oven and bake the pancake for approximately 20-25 minutes. It will puff up around the edges and have a beautiful golden-brown color.
- Remove the German Pancake from the oven and let it cool slightly. It will deflate a bit as it cools, which is completely normal.
- To serve, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the pancake and dust it generously with powdered sugar. You can also add a handful of fresh berries or sliced fruit for an extra burst of flavor and color.
- Slice the pancake into four portions and serve immediately. It’s best enjoyed hot, straight from the oven.
Read More: Mexican Pancake Recipe Easy