Get ready to embark on a mouthwatering journey through the vibrant and irresistible flavors of Korean cuisine with our delectable recipe for Korean Fried Chicken. This dish combines tender, juicy chicken pieces with a crispy, golden coating that’s been perfectly seasoned and then drenched in a luscious, sweet, and spicy sauce. It’s a delightful harmony of crunchy and saucy, sure to tantalize your taste buds. Perfect for gatherings or a delightful family dinner, this recipe serves 4 and is bound to become a favorite in your household.
For the Chicken:
- 2 lbs (approx. 900g) of chicken wings or drumettes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the Sauce: 8. 1/2 cup gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Sesame seeds and chopped green onions for garnish
Step 1: Marinate the Chicken
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken pieces and buttermilk. Ensure the chicken is well-coated, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours for maximum flavor.
Step 2: Prepare the Coating 2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, and black pepper.
Step 3: Coat the Chicken 3. Heat vegetable oil in a deep pan or fryer to 350°F (175°C).
- Take the marinated chicken pieces and, one at a time, coat them thoroughly with the flour mixture. Gently shake off any excess.
Step 4: Fry the Chicken 5. Carefully place the coated chicken into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy, approximately 10-12 minutes. You may need to do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Once done, transfer the fried chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
Step 5: Make the Sauce 7. In a saucepan, combine gochujang, ketchup, honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, minced garlic, and ginger. Cook over low heat, stirring until the sauce thickens and becomes glossy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from heat and stir in the sesame oil.
Step 6: Coat the Fried Chicken 9. In a large mixing bowl, toss the fried chicken pieces with the sauce, ensuring they’re evenly coated.
Step 7: Garnish and Serve 10. Plate the Korean Fried Chicken and sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onions for a burst of color and added flavor.
Read More: Easy Chicken Nuggets recipe
Read More: Delicious Chicken Piccata recipe