Prepare to embark on a flavorful journey to Mexico with our delicious Mexican Pancake recipe. This savory twist on traditional pancakes is a mouthwatering combination of fluffy pancake batter, zesty Mexican flavors, and a medley of vibrant toppings. With a touch of spice and a burst of freshness, our Mexican Pancake is perfect for adding some excitement to your breakfast or brunch. This recipe serves four, making it an ideal choice for a festive family morning or a Mexican-inspired brunch with friends. Let’s dive into this culinary adventure and whip up a fiesta on your plate!
For the Pancake Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup corn kernels (canned or fresh)
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Sliced avocado
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapeños (optional for spice)
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well to ensure even distribution of dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and the large egg until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps in the batter are perfectly fine.
- Gently fold in the melted unsalted butter, corn kernels, diced green bell pepper, diced red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, and shredded cheddar cheese into the pancake batter.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Once the skillet is hot, ladle a portion of the pancake batter onto it to form a pancake of your desired size. Cook until you see bubbles forming on the surface of the pancake, which usually takes about 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully flip the pancake and cook the other side until it’s golden brown and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes more. Repeat this process for the remaining pancakes, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.
- To serve, stack the Mexican Pancakes on a plate and top them with sliced avocado, salsa, sour cream, sliced jalapeños for an extra kick (if desired), and fresh cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy your Mexican Pancakes while they’re warm and bursting with delicious flavors!
Read More: Classic German Pancake Recipe